History

The present area that constitutes the Sports Ground measures approximately 8 acres. It is owned by the village of Warboys with 4 trustees being appointed from the village and managed by ‘The Warboys Sports Ground Trust Committee.

It came to the village partly as a gift of a 4 acre field from Mr Thomas Ekins a local farmer with a similar area of adjoining land being purchased with money raised by public subscription. This took place in 1943/4 with over 300 separate contributions raising almost £700. There was also just under £800 raised as loans.

Preparation of the ground took place during 1944/5 and the grand opening followed in 1946. The terms and conditions under which the Sports Ground came into being required that it had to be managed “as a sports ground for the Parish of Warboys in the County of Cambridgeshire and in particular for the playing of organised sports and other outdoor games and pastimes”

The cost of maintaining the Sports Ground is covered by rents charged to the clubs that use the ground. Currently these are: Warboys Town Football Club, Warboys Colts Football Club, Warboys Cricket Club and the Warboys Sports & Social Club.